OUR HISTORY

Mt Cuthbert Resources is an Australian company and operates the Mt Cuthbert Copper Mine located near Mt Isa, Queensland, Australia and encompasses 1531 Km2 of tenements (Leichhardt Copper Project). The company also holds over 1,000 square kilometres of Exploration Leases in South Australia. The Mt Cuthbert Resources head office is based in Adelaide, South Australia.

 

Mt Cuthbert Resources is owned by Dragon Field Intl Ltd, a Malaysian based company whose activities include iron ore mining and exploration of gold and copper. Dragon Field Intl Ltd acquired Mt Cuthbert Resources, previously known as Malaco Leichhardt Pty Ltd, in Dec 2019. The Leichhardt Copper Project (Project) is located in the world class Mt Isa Inlier province in Northwest Queensland, Australia. The Project is 120km by road northeast of the Regional township of Mt Isa and 125kms by road from the township of Cloncurry. Both of these townships have significant infrastructure including railroad facilities.

Mt Cuthbert Resources holds the largest privately owned land tenure in the Mt Isa district and the 5th Largest tenure holder overall. The Project currently is producing Grade A copper cathode through its 9,500 tonnes per annum heap leach, solvent extraction and electro-winning process. The operations are currently mining oxide ore from the Crusader mine and transporting the ore to the processing site.  Mt Cuthbert is currently developing its sulphide resources with a view to building a 1.5 million tonnes per annum concentrator. 

Mt Cuthbert Resources Tenement Map 

Mount Cuthbert, once a copper mining town is 100km North-West of Cloncurry in Western Queensland. It was one of four rich mining towns around Cloncurry created by Melbourne investors when Copper prices rose to profitable levels. Construction began slowly in 1912 and came to rapid conclusion in 1915 when war time demand forced up Copper prices. As soon as the rails were laid to Mount Cuthbert copper smelters were erected beginning operation again in 1917. Trains carried fuel up to Mount Cuthbert and returned smelted metal. 

 

The boom year was 1918 when Pugh's Queensland Directory estimated Mount Cuthbert's population at 750 and recorded six boarding houses, a hotel, a racing club and several stores in the town. The start of local smelting, labor disputes and collapse of the world copper market in 1920 put Mount Cuthbert in a hopelessly vulnerable position. The 1921 census recorded 267 people and the 1924 Pugh's Directory indicated that most of the storekeepers had departed. The branch line to Mount Cuthbert was closed in 1949. 

 

 

 

Mt Cuthbert Township

Mt Cuthbert Mine c1910

© 2023 by Kant & Rider. Proudly created with Wix.com